Bold Move as UAE Investigates Sanctioned Sudan Conflict Firms

More Articles

Tejaswini Deshmukh
Tejaswini Deshmukh
Tejaswini Deshmukh is the contributing editor of RegTech Times, specializing in defense, regulations and technologies. She analyzes military innovations, cybersecurity threats, and geopolitical risks shaping national security. With a Master’s from Pune University, she closely tracks defense policies, sanctions, and enforcement actions. She is also a Certified Sanctions Screening Expert. Her work highlights regulatory challenges in defense technology and global security frameworks. Tejaswini provides sharp insights into emerging threats and compliance in the defense sector.

The United Arab Emirates (UAE) has opened an official investigation into several companies connected to Sudan’s paramilitary group, the Rapid Support Forces (RSF). This follows sanctions imposed by the United States on these firms, which were reportedly linked to violent activities in Sudan’s ongoing conflict.

On Friday, the UAE Ministry of Justice said that seven companies named in the U.S. sanctions do not hold valid commercial licenses in the UAE. The ministry confirmed that these companies are not conducting any business in the country at present.

An investigation into the companies and associated individuals is already underway. The ministry said it took action immediately after being notified about the sanctions by U.S. authorities. The UAE is also seeking further information from the United States to assist in the ongoing inquiry.

Houthis Under Pressure as US Sanctions Russian Support Network

The UAE emphasized that relevant government departments are actively monitoring for any suspicious or illegal business activity in accordance with local laws.

U.S. Sanctions Target RSF Network

The U.S. government imposed sanctions earlier this year on multiple individuals and entities believed to be helping the RSF through trade and financial support. These measures came under Executive Order 14098, signed by President Joe Biden on May 4, 2023, which targets those contributing to the worsening crisis in Sudan.

One of the key individuals identified by the U.S. Treasury Department is Abu Dhar Abdel Nabi Habiballah, a Sudanese national. He is the owner of Capital Tap Holding, a company that reportedly manages 50 other businesses in 10 countries. The U.S. has labeled him as a senior board member of this group and included him in the sanctions list. His assets and financial interests are now subject to restrictions.

Capital Tap Holding was one of the main firms sanctioned, alongside six others that were registered in the UAE. These include:

  • Capital Tap General Trading
  • Al-Zumurrud wa Al-Yaqut for Gold and Jewelry
  • Creative Python
  • Al-Jil Al-Qadem (Next Generation)
  • Advanced Horizon Solutions
  • Capital Tap Management

According to the UAE Ministry of Justice, none of these companies currently have permission to operate in the country, and none possess a valid license. Despite their UAE registration details, officials say these firms are not conducting real business within Emirati borders.

Big Ivan Rogov Warship Grows Quickly Under Sanction Pressure

UAE Responds Swiftly and Requests U.S. Assistance

After receiving word of the sanctions, UAE authorities acted quickly. The Ministry of Justice stated that it immediately launched a probe to determine whether any UAE-based individuals or firms were involved in supporting the RSF, even indirectly.

They have formally asked U.S. officials to share more details about the companies and people named in the sanctions. This information will help Emirati investigators complete their review and take any further legal steps if necessary.

Officials reaffirmed that the UAE remains committed to international law and works closely with global partners to combat the financing of armed groups or any activities that may threaten peace and security.

As of now, the investigation is still active. Authorities continue to gather documents and evidence, and further announcements may follow once the review progresses.

The UAE’s prompt and detailed response highlights its determination to ensure its economy is not misused to support violent groups abroad.

- Advertisement -spot_imgspot_img

Latest

error: Content is protected !!